My cooking skills had improved a lot since I studied aboard, since I’m totally dependent on my own now. Eating out in London is a quite pricey for me, I prefer cooking myself in order to save up and be healthier. While I got used to the busy, efficient lifestyle in Hong Kong, long preparation for a meal like marinating, baking really bother me, so usually my meals can be sorted with the simplest ingredients, nearly no preparation time and cooked in less than 30 minutes. If you are looking for a quick meal for 1-2 portions like me, here are few easy and still, tasty recipe inspired by homemade Hong Kong dishes:
*Remark: Marinate beef, pork or chicken with soya sauce, salt, sugar and black pepper is our basic preparation for meat. This is a simple but incredibly useful tip to bring up the taste of any dishes.
Baked Rice with Pork Chop in Hong Kong Style
Baked rice is a very signature dish for Hong Konese ‘Local Tea House’, kind of a east meet west fusion dish and taste extremely satisfying!
2 pork chop steak
2 portion of rice (may varies)
1 bottle of tomato pasta sauce
- Marinate the pork steak for 15-20 minutes, pan fry it for use later.
- Fry the steamed rice with eggs. (even better with leftover/refrigerated rice, the less water in it, the easier to fry!)
- Place the egg fried rice at the bottom of a oven plate, topped with pork chops then tomato pasta sauce. Add as much vegetable and cheese as you want!
- Pre heat the oven, but the plate in and bake for 15 minutes/ the sauce dried up.
Braised Pork Belly
When I cooked this dish for my westerner flatmate they all don’t believe how easy and tasty the dish is simply made with 3 ingredients.
200g pork belly
5-8 Crystal sugar cube (this sugar is best for braise dish)
-seven spicy powder
-deep fried onion
-dark soya sauce
- Put the pork belly in a pot of boiling water for few minutes till the surface is slightly cooked. Diced it into small pieces around 1cm cube.
- Hot a pot with oil, fry the diced pork belly. Add 1:1 ratio of soya sauce to water into the pot. Turn it to low heat after boiling.
- Add the crystal sugar cube, constantly taste the sauce and varies the sweet or salty level with sugar or salt. Gently stir it or with additional flavour and colouring with dark soya sauce .
- Braise for another 20-30 minutes till the sauce is thicken and wrapped around each pork belly cube.
5. Serve it with plain noodle/steaming rice/ hot steam rice!
Tomato Soup with Homemade Meatball
150g minced pork
- Marinate the minced pork* for 10-15 minutes.
- Mix well the minced pork with strength like crushing a flour dough, till it became a meat platter with thick texture.
- Take a portion out and rounded it like a ping-pong size.
- Quartered the tomatoes, chop the other vegetable.
- Pour a t/s oil into a pot, slightly stir fry the tomatoes. This will get the taste of it into the soup easier
- Put all the vegetable to a pot of water till boiling, then add the meatball in.
- Crush the tomatoes. Wait till the soup changed into slightly orange colour and the vegetable are fully cooked. Sever we a pin of salt and it’s done!